Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wearing My Plastic Baby Pants

The dreaded enemy


Once upon a time, in a kingdom far away and lost, a king who loved to feel powerful. His desire for power is not satisfied only to have it, he needed further that all admire him for being powerful. Just as Snow White's stepmother was not enough to look beautiful, he also needed to look in a mirror to tell how powerful it was. He had no magic mirrors, but had a lot of courtiers and servants around him who asked whether he was the most powerful kingdom. Invariably all said the same thing:
- Your Highness, you are very powerful, but you know that the magician has a power that no one possesses: He knows the future.

The king was very jealous of the magician because he not only had a reputation as a very kind and generous, but also the whole town loved him, admired him and cheered him there and live there.

did not say the same of the king. Perhaps because he needed to show that it was he who commanded the king was not fair, not fair and much less good.

One day, tired of people tell him how powerful and loved that it was the magician, or motivated by the mixture of jealousy and fear that generates envy, the king hatched a plan: organize a large party to which invited the magician. After dinner, ask everyone's attention. Called the magician at the center of the room and before the court, would ask the wizard if it was true that he could read the future. The guest would have two options: say no cheating and the admiration of others, or say yes, confirming the reason for his fame. The king was sure he would choose the second possibility. Then ask him to tell him the date on which the magician of the kingdom was going to die. This would give an answer on any given day, no matter what. At the same time, the king planned, to draw his sword and kill him. Get two things with this one blow: first, get rid of your enemy forever, and second, to demonstrate that the wizard was unable to anticipate the future, and that he was wrong in his prediction. Would be over in a single night, the magician and the myth of his powers ...

Preparations began immediately, and soon came a day of celebration .... ... After the big dinner, the king had passed the magician at the center and asked

- Is it true that you can read the future?

- A little - said the wizard.

- And you read your own future? - Asked the king

- A little - said the wizard.

- Then I want to give me a test - said the king What day you die? What is the date of your death?

The magician smiled, looked into her eyes and said nothing.

- What wizard? - Said the king smiling - Do not you know ... is not true that you can see the future?

- not that - said the wizard - but I know, I do not dare tell you.

- How can you not cheer? - Said the king ... I am your sovereign and command you to tell me. You must realize that it is very important to know when the kingdom will lose his most eminent ... Answer me then die when the magician of the realm?

After a tense silence, the magician looked at him and said:

"I can not precisarte date, but I know that the magician will die exactly one day before the king.

For a moment, time froze. A murmur ran through the guests.

King had always said he did not believe in wizards or divination, but the truth is that he did not dare to kill the magician. We forgave each other for convenience, but spared his life. Sovereign slowly lowered his arms and stood in silence ... Thoughts raced through his mind.

He realized that he was wrong.

His hatred was the worst director

"Your Highness, you've gone pale. What's wrong? - Asked the guest.

"I'm feeling bad - said the king - I'm going to my room, I thank you for coming. And with a confused expression turned quietly heading for their rooms ...

The wizard was smart, had the only answer to prevent his death "should read your mind? The prediction could not be true. But ... What if it were? ... I was stunned ... He thought it would be tragic if something happened to the magician on his way home

King retraced his steps, and said aloud:

-Mago, are famous throughout the kingdom for your wisdom, I beg you to pass this night in the palace as I consult you in the morning on some real decisions.

- Majesty! Will be a great honor, said the guest with a bow.

The king instructed his bodyguards to accompany the magician to the guest rooms in the palace and guard your door ensuring that nothing will happen ...

That night the sovereign could not sleep. He was very upset thinking about what would happen if the evil magician had dropped food, or if he had accidentally hurt during the night, or if you simply would have arrived on time.

Very early in the morning the king hit in the guest rooms.

never in his life he had thought to consult any of his decisions, but this time, how the magician was asked the question ... I needed an excuse.

And the magician, who was a sage, gave a correct answer, creative and fair.

King, almost hear the response, praised his host for his intelligence and asked him to stay another day supposedly to "consult" other matters ... (Obviously, the king only wanted to make sure nothing will happen). The magician - who enjoyed the freedom that only the enlightened conquer - accepted.

Since then every day, morning or afternoon, the king went to the rooms of the magician and undertook to consult for a further consultation next day.

It was not long before the king realized that his new advisory councils were always successful and finished, almost without noticing, taking them into account in each of their decisions.

Months passed and then years.

And as always ... be close to you know becomes the ignorant, wiser.

That was the king gradually became more and more just. It was no longer despotic or authoritarian. Longer needed to feel powerful, and therefore probably no longer required to demonstrate their power.

began to learn that humility could also have its advantages. Started reign of a wise and kindly way. It happened that people began to love her, as she had never loved before.

King was not going to see the wizard to investigate on his health, was really to learn, to share a decision or just to chat.

The king and the magician had become good friends.

Until one day, more than four years after that dinner, without cause, King said. He recalled that this man, whom he considered his best friend now, was his most hated enemy. He recalled that once hatched plan to kill him. And he realized that he could not continue to keep this secret without being a hypocrite.

King took courage and went to the magician's room. Just knocked and entered, said:

"Brother, I have something to tell me the chest press.

"Tell me - said the wizard - and soothes your heart

" That night when I invited you to dinner and I asked you about your death, I did not really want to know about your future, planned to kill deal with anything to tell me I wanted your demystified unexpected death your fame as a seer. I hated you because everyone loved you .... I'm so ashamed ...

The king sighed deeply and continued:

"That night I decided to kill and now we're friends, and more that friends, brothers, I dread to think what would have lost if he had done. Today I felt that I can not keep sneaking my infamy. I needed to tell you all this so that you forgive me or forsake me, but without concealing.

The magician looked at him and said:

"You've taken a long time to tell me, but anyway, I'm glad you did because this is the only thing I will tell you that I already knew. When I did the question and hand stroked the hilt of your sword, your intention was so clear that it did not take a fortune teller to realize what he meant to do.

The magician smiled and put his hand on the shoulder of the king

- As fair return on your sincerity, I must say that I lied to you ... I confess that I invented this absurd story of my death before yours to give you a lesson. One lesson that only now you are ready to learn, perhaps the most important thing that I have taught: Let the world hating and rejecting aspects of others and to ourselves that we despicable, threatening or useless ... and yet, if we take time, we ended up realizing how much it would cost us to live without those things that at one point rejected. Your death, my friend, just come, the day of your death, and not a minute earlier. It is important that know that I am old, and my day is surely coming. There is no reason to think that your game should be tied to mine. Are our lives that have been linked, not our deaths.

The king and the magician is embraced and celebrated by giving each one felt confident that this relationship had managed to build together.

Legend ... mysteriously that night ... the magician ... died during sleep.

King learned the bad news the next morning and felt desolate. I was not distressed by the idea of \u200b\u200bhis own death, the magician had learned to detach even survive in the world. I was saddened by the death of her friend. What a strange coincidence

had made the king that the magician could have just the night before his death? Perhaps some unknown way the magician had done so he could say this so take your imagination to die a day later. A final act of love to save him from his fears of other times ... They say the king arose and with his own hands dug in the garden under her window, a tomb for his friend, the magician. His body buried there and the rest of the day stood beside the mound of earth, weeping as only cries at the loss of loved ones.

And only late at night King returned to his room.

Legend ... that same night ... four hours after the death of the magician, the king died in his bed while he slept ... perhaps by chance ... perhaps sorrow ... perhaps to confirm the last instruction of their teacher. FIN



Author: Jorge Bucay

0 comments:

Post a Comment